Sunday, September 4, 2011

Letter #3

Dear Evalyn,
You are now six months old. My last letter to you was when you were six weeks old. I can't believe how much has happened in such little time. You have made yourself more than known in this family. You are a colicky baby and for that reason perhaps I often coddle you more than needed. You and I have become very close, though your Daddy is sure to cuddle you every night.

As you and your sister grow bigger and you both discover new things about the world, life becomes hectic and our day to day routine makes time go by fast. Occasionally I am lucky enough to have a moment with you in which I freeze into my memory forever. The look of you snuggled into my arms sound asleep, the sound of your laugh or the picture of your enormous and beautiful smile are all memories I will cherish forever.

The other day you were having one of your screaming fits and I went through my routine of things I do to calm you down. First a diaper change, then a bottle, next walking around the house with you. Nothing seemed to calm you down and so the last thing I could think to do was sing. Your favorite song is "You are my sunshine," which I have always loved to sing to you and your sister just as my mother sang to me. When I sang the phrase, "You'll never know dear how much I love you," you suddenly stopped screaming, looked into my eyes and gave me the biggest smile ever. I feel like that was you trying to tell me you love me. You completely melted my heart in that moment.

Until the next time my sweet lil Nugget...
Loving you forever,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment